Hyomin T-ara talks about feeling confined by her idol image







T-ara’s Hyomin recently sat down for an honest interview with OSEN and revealed that she was experiencing a disconnect with her idol image.


The confession comes as a surprise, especially since she’s going through one of the busiest times of her career with a movie, a drama, and additional promotions with T-ara on the way.


Hyomin revealed, “Right when I began preparations for ‘Gisaeng Ryung‘, I experienced a disconnect. I realized that I was ‘acting like an idol’. I was always acting bright and positive, like what people would normally expect.  I felt that I was being fake and began to wonder why I had to always be careful.”


She continued, “When I began KBS’s ‘Invincible Youth‘, I found myself speaking quietly and acting intimidated with my actions, even though I’m not a timid person. Because the public found it funny, I was acting the way they wanted me to, even though it wasn’t the true me. People who don’t know me began to see me as this person who wasn’t confident with themselves and only knew how to mumble. When they heard that I was cast for a historical drama, I heard things like, ‘She doesn’t even know how to speak for herself, how will she act in a historical drama?’”


It was through ‘Gisaeng Ryung’ that Hyomin decided to no longer limit herself to being an idol. She revealed that she had completely ‘thrown herself away’ to better fulfill her role in the movie, and that she wasn’t afraid to share her opinions in front of the directors.


With a laugh, she said, “It will be a new side of me. I don’t expect people to say that I act well, but rather, ‘She has this sort of expression too, she has this type of image too.’ I felt that way as well.”

No comments: